Friday 19 December 2008

Reflections

A couple of weeks back I went home while the sun was still shining and arrived at the doorstep of my home to be greeted by the surprised face of my brother.
"Did you get fired?" he asked sarcastically.
This was my moment of realisation. I don't usually come home early, I just continue working as long as there is work to do (which is usually the case) but I certainly do not consider myself a workaholic. Few of my friends have begun to think I am one, after coming home late and missing some friendly get-togethers.
Workaholics thrive on work. I, on the other hand simply have work that if left unfinished will lead to certain miseries and doom. But it is rather ironic (or foolish) how before I started working I swore to myself to lead a balance life and not linger about the office. Haha.

*****
Today while reading Patsy Kam's article in the Star about the meaning of Christmas, I suddenly came to another realisation. Of course, articles pandering about what Christmas really means are by no means a fresh topic, yet funnily enough when Patsy wrote about how we're paying just so much attention to a Christmas tree, I realise I do the same. Will this year's tree be dressed in gold? Or silver? Or decked in bows and other shiny paraphernalia?

All the years of amusing myself with ideas on how to make my artificial, lifeless tree match the regal ones in Metrojaya, I forgot that in another corner in my house sits the altar where there is an image of Jesus and the Bible laid before it. How did I spend the last few years forgetting to figure out how to make the altar the centre of attention during Christmas? By no means am I doing a 360 and chucking the tree out, some traditions albeit commercial driven, are still fun to follow but I guess as a Christian I should have also thought more of Jesus.

After all it was His birth and not my fake tree.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha I like your brother's 1-liner.. "Did you get fired?" lolXD

btw, u really need to get a shoutbox for ur blog. ^_^

Related Posts with Thumbnails